Interstate Commission on the Potomac River Basin
Senior Environmental Scientist/Engineer
The Interstate Commission on the Potomac River Basin (ICPRB) seeks an Environmental Scientist/Engineer to undertake interesting and challenging projects in its water quality program area. The primary responsibilities of this position include statistical analysis of water quality data; development of computer simulation models of rivers, reservoirs, and estuaries; formal presentation of project results to both technical staff and the general public; and written documentation of project development and results. Typical projects have included assisting member jurisdictions in developing bacteria, sediment, and/or nutrient TMDLs for rivers, reservoirs, and small tidal systems. ICPRB also is expecting to continue participating in the development of successive phases of the Chesapeake Bay Program’s Watershed Model.
Successful candidates will meet the following requirements:
- Demonstrated understanding of hydrology, water chemistry, environmental fluid dynamics, statistics, and computer programming;
- Experience with computer simulation models such as HSPF, SWAT, CE-QUAL-W2, WASP, or EFDC;
- Experience applying statistical principles to analysis of water quality data;
- Computer programming experience, preferably with some familiarity with FORTRAN, and experience with R, SAS, or another statistical software package;
- Ability to work independently through all phases of project design, execution, and documentation;
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff at ICPRB or at other agencies and organizations;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical audiences, both orally and in writing; and
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental stewardship and collaborative management of resources.
Experience supervising staff helpful but not necessary.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Preferred Education: Ph.D. in environmental engineering, water resources, hydrology, or environmental science; or commensurate experience with computer simulation modeling and statistical analysis.
ICPRB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, located in Rockville, Maryland. Learn more at www.PotomacRiver.org.
Please send an electronic copy of cover letter and resume to email@example.com by 5:00 PM on November 15, 2017. No phone calls, please.