Interstate Commission on the Potomac River Basin
Posted March 17, 2023
Click here to download a PDF of this announcement.
For over eighty years, the Interstate Commission on the Potomac River Basin (ICPRB) has worked with our partners to improve the water quality of the Potomac River through science, regional cooperation, and education. ICPRB seeks a Communications Director to support the important work of this small, collegial, non-regulatory agency that focuses on water resources, aquatic habitats, drinking water, and environmental communication.
ICPRB is seeking a Communications Director who will control and oversee the flow of communication and information between ICPRB and the public. This individual will be responsible for acting as the face of ICPRB at media events and directing marketing and public relations campaigns. We seek a dynamic team player who will set the tone for messaging and who can effectively portray ICPRB’s values and mission.
This is a senior level position who will report directly to the Executive Director. Responsibilities are delineated below:
Communications Director Job Responsibilities:
- Establish and drive a multi-channel communications strategy.
- Prepare and manage all communications material, including but not limited to a weekly newsletter, factsheets, press releases, talking points, presentations, social media posts, responses to outside inquiries and, in collaboration with the ICPRB Executive Director, be responsible for all organizational messaging.
- Develop brand voice and maintain brand integrity across all platforms.
- Manage media relations and develop contacts with media members, influencers, and community leaders; cultivate relationships to help build support and recognition for ICPRB and events throughout the Potomac River Basin.
- Manage and supervise staff under the direction of this position.
- Plan and execute outreach and educational programs.
- Assist or direct the creation of digital, video, audio, and print content.
- Track engagement across various platforms and make data-driven decisions.
- Manage presence at industry events, conferences, and festivals.
- Contribute information for creation of a budget for the communications team and ensure compliance.
- Support Commission meetings and events.
- Candidates will be expected to work occasional weekends and evenings.
- Some travel may be required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Communications Director Qualifications / Skills:
Successful candidates must meet the following requirements:
- The ability to clearly communicate complex scientific concepts to a non-scientific audience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency with industry standard communications technologies.
- Understanding of copywriting, graphic design, layout, and publishing.
- Working knowledge of content management systems (WordPress), HTML coding, and digital graphics production.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and social media marketing, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Experience with search engine optimization, key performance indicators, and Google Analytics.
- Impeccable copywriting and copy-editing abilities.
- Strong leadership abilities.
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Familiarity with accessibility standards for ADA compliance.
- Familiarity with Esri ArcGIS applications such as StoryMaps and Experience Builder.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro).
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or a related discipline.
- 5-plus years of communications, marketing or public relations or related experience.
- Experience managing digital content.
- Experience or knowledge of environmental sciences and/or water resources is desired but not required.
- Established media relations a plus.
Salary commensurate with experience. ICPRB provides an excellent benefits package, including retirement and a generous telework and leave policy.
Candidates must be able to reliably commute or plan to relocate to Rockville, MD before starting work (required).
Located in Rockville, MD, ICPRB is an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to maintain a diverse workforce. No applicant or employee will be discriminated against because of race, sex, gender, identity, age, religion, national origin, veteran status, political affiliation, disability, or any other non-job-related factors. Individuals shall be considered for employment and advancement solely based on qualifications and abilities for this specific position.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Work Location: Rockville, MD 20850
- To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications are due by COB March 31, 2023
Sign up for our newsletter, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter to receive updates on job postings and other news at ICPRB.