1. Capital Bikeshare and the mega-outdoor store, REI, are partnering up this weekend to provide free bike rentals at the 350+ Capital Bikeshare rental kiosks throughout the District. To test your city-biking skills sign-up here for a discount code.
2. Pack a picnic and grab the kids for a free Movie on the Potomac along the shores of National Harbor. This Sunday’s showing will be the classic from 1989, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.
3. Join the Audubon Society of Central Maryland on their monthly hike through the nature sanctuary. July’s walk will explore the birds and butterflies of the Audrey Carroll Audubon Sanctuary outside of New Market, Md. The walks are great for the entire family. Don’t forget your binoculars!
4. Take advantage of the National Park Service’s free boat ride on a replica steamboat at the Williamsport Launch Boat Program while learning about the locks along the C&O Canal. The tours begin at 11am, 1:30pm and 3:00pm on both Saturday and Sunday and are sure to please people of all ages.
5. Get outside and take the Brookside Nature Challenge. Use this chance to reconnect with nature and your kids as you explore the natural wonders of Brookside Nature Center in Wheaton, Md.